Thursday, May 5, 2016

If Your Friends Jumped Off A Bridge Would You? Why, Certainly!

There are some sayings that almost every parent says to their kid.  “Don’t put that in your mouth.  Do what I say, not what I do.  Because I said so, and if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?”  I have said most of these to my kids.  The last one though, I have a hard time with.  This is because, my friends did jump off a bridge, and so did I.  It was a hot spring afternoon, in the Town of Windsor.  A bunch of us kids from the track team gathered after practice and made our way to the river.  The bridge was just high enough that it was scary, but not so high that it was deadly.  I guess if you landed on something floating in the river, it could have been pretty bad, but we used spotters to keep an eye out before each jump.  Everyone wore sneakers so the impact didn’t hurt your feet, and because the bottom of the river was a mushy mess.  I will never forget the rush I felt as my feet left the edge of the bridge.  It was like the main drop of a rollercoaster.  The water was such a wonderful refreshment from the heat.  It is one of my most fond memories from high school.   I loved doing outrageous things and this fit in perfectly with my adventurous spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment